Updated: Apr 12
Direct Primary Care Doctor, Lawyer and MBA
Phil Eskew is a DPC physician and attorney. He founded DPC Frontier in 2014 prior to completing his family medicine residency in 2015. He is the VP of Clinical Development and General Counsel for Proactive MD, an on-site focused DPC company headquartered in Greenville, SC.
He volunteers his time as general counsel to the Direct Primary Care Coalition where he routinely relies on his accounting and legal backgrounds to discuss federal tax policies. His research has been published in many journals including the Journal of American Physicians & Surgeons, the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, Family Practice Management, the Journal of Legal Medicine and the West Virginia Medical Journal.
He has given over fifty CME talks about DPC including events hosted by the AOA, ACOFP, AAFP, and AAPS that included well known events like the DPC Summit, DPC Nuts & Bolts, and Hint Summit.
He also educates fellow attorneys at CLE venues and has spoken in New York on multiple occasions for the New York State Bar Association.
In his interview, he shares how he learned about and became so invested in DPC. He discusses the hot topics on lots of doctors' minds - HSAs, opting in and out of Medicare, HIPAA - and how they relate to DPC. He also discussed a topic that is not often discussed: "what would break DPC?" Dr. Eskew is currently transitioning to ProactiveMD where he will be able to enhance the clinical side of his expertise in addition to maintaining his legal work.
Resources mentioned by Dr. Eskew
FIGHT BACK: Kicking back prior authorizations the DPC way with Dr. Zydiak!
- How To Utilize HITECH (located on DPC Frontier under RESOURCES --> HITECH)
- Tips for Reviewing You First Physician Employment Contract (located on DPC Frontier under ABOUT -> ABOUT US)
- HSA (located on DPC Frontier under REGULATIONS -> OTHER FEDERAL REGS -> FEDERAL LEGISLATIVE EFFORTS -> HSA)
- HIPAA (located on DPC Frontier under REGULATIONS -> HIPAA
- Opting Out Of Medicare (located on DPC Frontier under REGULATIONS -> OPTING OUT
- Prior Authorizations & Price Transparency (see video ABOVE and through this link)
Books mentioned by Dr. Eskew
- The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine In America by Norman Gevitz. Dr. Eskew refers to the 2nd Ed. page 43